Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sunday Evening Reflection

I went shooting this weekend at McMillers with a few fellow Cheddarsphere bloggers. Here's my take on the day:

It was a nice warm Saturday morning, driving down highway 67 with all of the windows down, admiring the changing colors of the leaves and the beautiful expanse of farm lots. The drive is very nice and therapeutic (as Phel points out) - getting off of Interstate 94 and skirting through a couple of hills before hitting the town of Eagle. I arrived late, rolling in around 11:30 to a fuller-than-normal parking lot. Dad29, who I was to pick up, called in sick and told me to 'look for a man in an orange hat' when I got there. Gee thanks Dad, its hunting season - I saw a few dozen.

Well, I rolled around in the lot and I noticed Steve and Phel who I've met before at DR. Immediately after that I saw the infamous orange hat on the head of Chris, the originator of this event. The rest of the story is quite obvious; I'm not going to go into what we shot, how we shot, or who shot what but rather my take on the event as a whole.

To sum it up, it was inspiring. Everything about the day was perfect. If you think about it, we as a people are blessed for what we have. I mean, it's easy to forget about all of the great liberties that we have in this country and on that day, I remembered them all.

To begin, I'm meeting with a group of bloggers that I've met online while practicing our freedom of speech. Then, I travel freely to another city in this beautiful state with no problems. At this point, I reach a state-owned park that leases out to McMillers - the company who obviously runs the range. At this point, I'm practicing my second amendment right with many other citizens who feel the same way. The whole day was not just about shooting but about our rights as Americans.

That is what was so beautiful about this particular Saturday morning - being an American. From our rights, to our freedoms, to our country. As I drove home that day, I was reflecting on the wonderful time that I just had when I passed by a billboard that bears repeating:

God bless America.

8 comments:

Dad29 said...

Good piece.

By the way, the name of the company that leases/operates the range is Wern Valley.

100 years ago, there was "Wern Farms," which was a dairy operation.

Things change, eh?

steveegg said...

Couldn't say it better.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time .. wish I lived closer... :-(

Neo-Con Tastic said...

I'll be the first to admit, I could use a class in grammar. I literally struggle to describe the events eloquently.

Bottom line - I enjoyed the day tremendously. It truly was inspiring.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great day.

I'm toying with the idea of learning how to shoot a gun. I thought maybe I'd go to a shooting range and see if I could be there for an extended period of time without freaking out. I'm not so good with violence. But, I figure I should learn to shoot, in case someday I need to.

Gayle said...

A refreshing post, Mr. Tastic. "Peaceful" even, which is nice for a change. Thanks!

Jenn of the Jungle: Yes, you should learn to shoot. There's a possibility we may all need to learn how to handle guns, and how to handle them safely and well. :)

Neo-Con Tastic said...

Thank you Gayle, and yes Jenn, you need to arm yourself and practice.

Nowadays, it's nearly a must.

Disgruntled Car Salesman said...

You are lucky I wasn't there to show you how it's done. Last Saturday of the month and all, you know...